If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (864) 292-6399

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Keep Fire Safety at the Forefront of Winter Activities | SERVPRO® of Northeast Greenville County

11/10/2020 (Permalink)

multicolor strand of lights on wood floor Make sure your fire risk is low during the holidays. If you experience any damage, SERVPRO of Northeast Greenville County will be here to help.

During any season of the year, house fires are something we should all do our best to prevent—but in the winter, they often become even more prevalent. Winter house fires are common according to the Red Cross, and because many winter activities involve an element of fire risk, it is important to proceed with caution.

With data from any period, cooking is shown to be the top cause of fires, with winter being no exception. Additionally, more people find themselves using heating tools and electric decorations surrounding cold weather and winter holidays, which also present fire risks in the home. Keep safety at the forefront of your celebrations to ensure a winter house fire does not happen to you.

Celebrate the Holidays With Fire Safety in Mind

Keep safe when cooking. Not only are there always fire risks involved with cooking and baking, but they also tend to be even more popular activities during the winter. When cooking large meals or baking holiday treats, be sure to still be vigilant about fire safety efforts such as keeping flammable materials away from the stove and keeping a fire extinguisher on hand.

Heat the house with proper precautions. When the evenings get chilly, using a space heater or a fireplace to heat your home can make things more comfortable. It is important that you keep safety in mind with these heating tools, however—though they are much safer than they used to be, space heaters still start many fires every year. Additionally, fireplaces bring the same dangers that any open flame would, so it is best to be cautious.

Decorate with care. Decorations such as lights and other various electronics bring a festive feel to the home, but using them safely is a must. Christmas tree fires are caused by lights 25% of the time. Fortunately, you can enjoy decorations safely by not overloading outlets and power strips, never using frayed wires and ensuring that lights are not left on when you are sleeping or away from home.

If you have damage due to a house fire, you can depend on us to help. Contact us 24 hours a day to report damage and receive a quick response from our certified restoration technicians. Get in touch today.

Other News

View Recent Posts